Thursday, November 30, 2017

Dad Died



Dad died.
I only had one.

Over the past months - and really, years – I had become bitter – bitter toward God – for ‘allowing’ dad to go the way he did.  I was told by many, that there was a reason for it, something we can’t understand and won’t understand until we too get to heaven and find out the secret to the suffering he endured.  

All I could say is “I know”.   I’m not new to this, as a Christian - -  there are a lot of things we won’t ever get answers to until we meet the creator, who has His reasons, bigger reasons, reasons we can’t comprehend.  This truth is one of the toughest hurdles of the faith.  It will make or break you.

But still – it has ticked me off.   He was a soldier for Christ.  Infantry.  He kicked-down doors, house-to-house (not literally, but figuratively).  He lived to spread the Gospel and never went off track, a good soldier – the best soldier.  He took body blows, but never fell.  He stood strong to the end.

I’ve thought: “God – you have every reason in the world to let me die that way, - -  but NOT dad, not him – he’s one of the good guys”.

----------------------------------------------------------------    

A few years ago, I was travelling every week . . . going to the airport on Monday and returning on Thursday.   And my company allowed me to pay for a driver each way (this was before Uber).  So I was paying a driver twice a week.   It occurred to me that dad was mostly retired and could always use a few extra dollars, so why not hire him?   (and by the way, he would always offer to drive me to the airport anytime – and would never ask me to pay him of course). 

I asked him if he would be willing to drop me off and pick me up each week – and I would pay him what I was paying for a licensed driver.  He said he would love it.  I told him to print up an ‘official’ looking receipt that I could submit on my expenses – so I could keep it “quasi legal” (?!).   He said he didn’t want me to get in trouble at work – “was it really ok”?  I said it was fine, don’t worry about it.  On his computer he created this form, and at the top in big letters was “Speedy Airport Service”, and underneath, it said “We Get You There Fast!”.   I asked him to put the amount I paid him, the date and to sign each one, but “not too clearly”, so no one could see his name “Donald Kanaley”.   No, he didn’t want to do this, it didn’t seem right.   – I said ok, just sign your name normally – it’ll be ok.

I knew I would regret it some – no offence to him!  But he had a way of driving, where he would get on the freeway and get up to 55 MPH, then let up the peddle until it went down to about 45 MPH, then pushed again to 55 MPH, then down to 45 MPH . . .  and this continues for the duration.  It was like being on the tea-cup ride at Disneyland – it always made me queasy.   Plus, this was before any GPS, he would pull out a map – even if he knew where he was going – he would unfold a REAL map, and you know how big those are.   While driving, 55-45-55-45, he would be reading the map.   Then occasionally he would lean over to grab his tube of Crest toothpaste, and he would squeeze out just enough onto his finger and put it in his mouth.   I think he was told in Seminary, to always have good breath.  He would always ask if you wanted some . . . .  It just recently occurred to me that I never saw him spit – ever.   So he didn’t drink, smoke, chew, cuss, or spit – EVER.     And as far as I can remember, isn’t it true that you’re not suppose to swallow toothpaste?   You’re suppose to spit it out – right?   Oh well.

So, each trip – we would approach the toll booth at the airport – to get the ticket.  He ALWAYS, 100% of the time, pulled out one of his Gospel tracks.   He would stop for the guy or gal to give him the ticket and he would always ask if it would be ok for him to give them “something to read while they’re on a break”.   The person ALWAYS said yes, it was never turned down, never rejected.   Then, when exiting the airport – he did it again.  EVERY TIME,  2X / WEEK x2 trips = 4x per week.

He was always working – always willing to stick his neck out to spread the gospel.  What if just 5% of the people he gave a track to, actually read it and found Christ?  Say, 20 travel weeks per year, for 2 years = 40 weeks, x 4 hand-outs = 160 tracks.  X just 5% = 8 people.  Then, who did those 8 people tell about Christ, and it continues . . . ?

I would say, “OK dad, just pull up to the curb here and I’ll jump out, get my roller bag and go to the ticket counter to check in”.  He would say “OK”.   But when he pulled up – he put it in park, jumped out and got my bag for me.  Usually we were in a ‘no-loading zone’ – so I always worried that the cop would come and give us a hard time – but it never happened.   He would then shake my hand, and put his hand on my shoulder and he asked if he could say a ‘quick prayer’ before I left.  At first, honestly, I didn’t want to take the time to do that, but of course I said ‘sure’.

So, he would pray – praying that I would have a ‘safe flight’, and that I would have a ‘successful meeting’.  He would pray for my wife and kids who were at home waiting.  He would pray that I would ‘stay strong’.   “In Jesus name, amen’.   We would part, I would run into the building and up to the ticket counter.  I would always look back to make sure he was gone – but he NEVER was – he always waited in the car until he saw me leave the ticket counter and head to the security line.

We had this same routine, week after week.  I looked forward to the trips with him, the routine, the prayer time - -  you know I ALWAYS had a good week when he prayed for me there – I ALWAYS stayed strong.

  1. He was honest.
  2. He was funny.
  3. He was reliable.
  4. He was consistent.
  5. He was protected (angles around the car).
  6. He was always doing the Lord’s work.
  7. He was concerned for me (and you).

There was no one like him – anywhere.
---------------------------------------
I love the song called “I Will Rise” (by Chris Tomlin) – I know dad loved it too.

There’s a Peace I’ve come to know
Though my Heart and Flesh may fail
There’s an Anchor for my soul
I can say – It is well.

There’s a day that’s drawing near
When the Darkness breaks to Light
And the Shadow’s disappear
And my faith shall be my eyes 

   “Jesus has overcome, and the grave is overwhelmed.  The Victory is won, He is risen from the dead. . . .  And I will Rise, when He calls my name.  No more sorrow, no more pain.  I will rise on Eagles wings, before my God, fall on my knees.  And Rise.  I will Rise!
  

I’ll see you soon dad, save me a good seat, and you can fill me in on what I’ve been missing!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life Legacy
Donald Edward Kanaley
October 14, 1930-November 19, 2017

Born: October 14, 1930
Place of Birth: Rochester, NY
Death: November 19, 2017
Place of Death: Savannah, TX

The Rev. Dr. Donald Edward Kanaley entered into the presence of his Lord
& Savior, Jesus Christ, on Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 4:15am. He was
attended by his dear wife Phyllis Gray Kanaley and her helper Faith.

Donald Edward Kanaley gave his life to Christ as a young man and lived to
bring others to saving faith. Over many decades he carried joy and the
Gospel wherever he went.

Don achieved many accomplishments in his life:
1. Ordination to the Pastoral Ministry-November 15, 1957;
2. Bible College Graduate-Baptist Bible College and Seminary - Bachelor of Theology;
3. Theological Seminary Graduate-Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary - Master of Divinity;
4. Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary (now Palmer Seminary) - Master of Theology;
5. Fuller Theological Seminary - Doctor of Ministry.

Don served responsibly several independent organizations over the years:
1. Billy Graham Evangelistic Association-11 years as director of the telephone center;
2. Africa Inland Mission-Service on the field in Kenya, East Africa;
3. World Vision International, Church Relations, Texas;
4. Wycliffe Bible Translators - Short-term Associate in Greater Dallas-6 years on the board;
5. Child Evangelism Fellowship - Greater Dallas Area Director-5 years;
6. The American Tract Society - Colporteur for 12 years in Greater Dallas;
7. Operation Rescue - one of the original members in Dallas.

As pastor Don served in several churches:
1. Calvary Baptist Church, Lynn, Massachusetts;
2. Second Baptist Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania;
3. First Baptist Church, Bergenfield, New Jersey;
4. First Baptist Church, Downey, California;
5. Reinhardt Bible Church, Dallas, Texas.

Don was proceeded in death by his daughter, Cynthia Diane Kanaley Newcott, his mother and father, Leola Pearl Kanaley and Thomas Edward Kanaley, and his brother, Martin Kanaley.

He is survived by his wife Phyllis Gray Kanaley, sons Reid Kanaley and Scot Kanaley, daughters Candace Craig and Celeste Johnson, his brothers Thomas, Joseph, and Daniel, and 17 grandchildren, Benjamin Newcott, Tiffany Newcott Himes, Nicholas Newcott, Zachary Newcott, Collin Kanaley, Ian Kanaley, Tara Craig Benker, Jeremy Craig, Tanya Craig Walch, Aaron Craig, Alexander Craig,
Hannah Craig, Jorden Kanaley Malazzo, Hollen Kanaley Moreno, Dagen Kanaley, Alexis Johnson Sellers, and Brittany Johnson Carrillo.

He is also survived by 46 great grandchildren, Silas, Eden, Maeve, Emma, Madison,
Olivia, Maxfield, Hudson, Mirabella, Amber, Mason, Calvin, Miles, Anabel, Shiloh, Asher, Korbin, Calahan, Dylan, Oliver, Griffin, Eliana, Chandler, Camryn, Madison, Autumn Lily, Ashton, Jack, Amelia, Scarlett, Aurora, Solomon, Daniel, Ledger, Lucy, Liam, Ellis, Jeffrey, Nick, Beckett,
Brynn, Lincoln, Penelope, Isaac, Jocelyn, and Jonah.

A Private Memorial Service and Burial will be held on Saturday, November 25, 2017 at 11:30am
  (Charles W. Smith & Sons, funeral home, McKinney, Texas.  Restland Memorial, Dallas, Texas).
A Public Memorial Service will be held on Monday, November 27, 2017 at 10am
  (Prestonwood Baptist Church, 6801 W Park Blvd, Plano, TX 75093)

 His was a life worthy of examination and emulation, but his deepest desire would be that you know his Savior Jesus and join him in Glory forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment